Tuesday, January 15, 2013

sticky fingers.

In a fuzzy first memory, I was about three or four years old and in line at the grocery store with my mom. I wanted a pack of Hubba Bubba bubble gum. My request was denied. However, for some reason I longed so badly for that bubble gum, I slipped a pack into the breast pocket of my pink Izod polo shirt and smuggled that little prize back to my bedroom. I must have known I had done something wrong because I jammed every last piece into my mouth and stashed the wrappers under my bed. Of course, I got caught & I believe my mom made me take the wrappers back to the store and apologize.

Fast forward thirty years. We are at my parents' house one evening to feed their cat while they are out of town. Emme and Delaney are allowed to have ice cream and a cookie while I tend to the feline duties. Once the girls are done with dessert and Buddy (the 20+ lb. cat) is taken care of, I attempt to round up the troops to head home for bed.

Instead of putting on her jacket, Emme heads to a little drawer in the kitchen where she has discovered a stash of left over Christmas chocolates. She fetches two shiny, foil wrapped coins out of the drawer and begins to hand one to Delaney and open the other for herself. I remind Emme that they just had dessert and the candy would have to wait for the next visit. Minor problem, Delaney now knows about the chocolate and is confused why Emme handed it to her and now I am taking it away. In an attempt to avoid a double melt down, I split one of the chocolates and offer each of the girls a half.

Unfortunately, Emme is not satisfied. She is exhausted and poised for an argument. She begins to open the second chocolate coin. Again, I tell her no more sweets. Her face screws up and she begins to blow. She is on the floor refusing to come home with us. She will not put on her coat. She is just going to stay at Nan Nan & Pop Pops because mom is "so mean". Okay, fine.

Clay leaves to start the car. I pick up Delaney and tell Emme to have a nice night and walk out to the garage.  We buckle Delaney in her car seat, all the while waiting for Emme to emerge from the house. She doesn't. Clay heads back in to get her. She meets him at the door. Her coat is on. She has a bounce in her step. Her lips curl into a sneaky grin and her hands are shoved in her pockets. "Hi guys. I'm ready now," she says as she climbs into her seat.

I take notice that her right hand never leaves her coat pocket. That little stinker took the chocolate and is trying to hide it! I reach back to "fix her seat belt" and slip the candy out of her pocket. As we being the trip home I notice Emme is feverishly digging in her pockets and whispering, "Where is it?!" When I inquire what is it that she is looking for, at first she won't tell me. She says it's nothing. But the harder she searched, the more upset she got. I inquired again. She blurted out in a fit of tears, "Where is the chocolate coin?!" When I played along and told her I thought we left it back at Nan Nan & Pop Pop's, she got real mad. The entire 10 minute drive home, Emme howled and screamed that she wanted that chocolate. Clay & I had to muffle our giggles over the whole situation. I mean, sometimes, tantrums are just down right funny when you really look at it.

Anyway, we had a little chat before bed & Emme confessed that she knew it was wrong to take the candy, but she "really wanted it!" Tomorrow, when she opens her lunch box at school, she'll find that little foil wrapped  chocolate coin waiting for her. Stinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment