Monday, September 1, 2014

Fast forward.

It was a big month.

As summer blazed one last heat wave (I hope), I watched Emme conquer the big, tunneled water slide at the pool. My reach was shooed by Delaney as her toes curled over the side of the pool and she jumped into the water, entire body swallowed by the splash. My heart swelled as Emme peddled confidently down the street without trainning wheels. My fists squeezed tight, arms pulled close to my chest, repeating under my breath, "You got it buddy. Keep going. You got it." My suggestions for Delaney's daily attire are no longer welcome. She is the boss of her fashion. Did you know a thermal shirt & bikini bottoms are the new trend for playing pirates in the backyard with the neighbor kids?

My oldest started kindergarten. My youngest started preschool. My oldest is on the verge of losing her first tooth. My youngest just celebrated her third birthday.

That's a lot of growing up in a couple of weeks...for me! All of a sudden my brain is on overdrive trying to keep up with my little ladies. I can literally feel the wheels turning in my head, begging to be oiled, to move faster, stay one step ahead. All of a sudden Emme is telling me she has a crush on a boy at school and Delaney informs me that Sesame Street is for "babies". What?! I think I just sprouted another grey hair. And gained another laugh line around my mouth.

All this newness. It's rewarding...and completely, mind-blowing, tongue twisting, second guessing, without a doubt terrifying. "Don't grow up too quick", I joke with them. "Can't you stay little, a little longer," I'll ask. And they'll respond with the familiar & embarassed, "Maaa-aaammm."

But amidst all this growing up, I will still catch the two of them staying little for a while longer. It was a little too quite while I was cleaning up from dinner the other night. I peered in the family room. Empty. My ears strained to hear their voices coming from Delaney's bedroom. There, on Delaney's twin bed, two little bodies huddled over a sketch pad, a big old cookie tin full of crayons between them. Coloring & talking. Two sisters.

Emme: "So, how do you like preschool, Delane?"
Delaney: "It's really good, Em!"
Emme: "Yeah, but do you miss me when I'm at kindergarten?"
Delaney: "Yeah. I do."
Emme: "You know I'll always be with you, you know. I miss you, too, when I go to school. But we get to play when I get home. Okay?"
Delaney: "Okay, Em. Thanks."

My cup runs over. And over. And over. They may out-grow my help sometimes, but I hope they never out-grow each other.


1 comment:

  1. Just remember to take lots of picture and as much video as you can. That way you can cherish it in the future. Plus, play it in the distant, distant, distant future to show grandchildren, but that is in the distant future.

    As you know...you never out grow siblings.

    Regards,
    Clifford Mitchem
    Advocare Distributor
    Nutrition + Fitness = Health
    www.AdvoCare.com/13087657

    ReplyDelete