Tuesday, February 28, 2012

treasure.

Today I lived the life of a single parent. Clay had a work trip. Lucky for me, he doesn't flee the coop often, but that does leave me ill prepared to man the troops for more 12 hours alone.  I, of course, rattled my brain for every possible opportunity or activity to occupy my kiddos hoping to stretch my sanity through bed time.

Our day went smoothly. Emme had school until noon, so I was able to get a few must-dos crossed off the list while Delaney snoozed in her car seat. After school, we made a pit stop at home to fill our bellies then headed out to the library. When we returned home, I guiltily admit I parked Emme in front of the TV and stationed Delaney in her Jumperoo while I desperately hit the sewing machine for a project due this Saturday. Delaney bounced until she could bounce no more then gave a loud, protesting shriek that could have translated into, "Get me outta this thing!" We headed to the TV room where we found Emme almost literally glued to the TV. She was so close to the screen I am not even sure she knew what she was watching. A half dozen attempts to gain her attention, Emme finally joined us on the floor to roll around with Delaney for a while.

As promised, we had breakfast for dinner (Emme's new favorite) and were about to shimmy into our jammies when Emme decided we needed to call Nan Nan. I should have known where that phone call would lead us. Instead of down shifting our day, we piled into the car and headed over to Nan Nan & Pop Pop's for a "short" visit. I thought, would could it hurt? One last activity would get us that much closer to bed time!

Nan Nan did her usual best to wind Emme up, feeding her pumpkin bread & ice cream and letting her jump around on the furniture. My dad & I pleaded with my mom to calm down (funny that I have to reprimand my mom & my daughter) so Emme would calm down. Well, my mom got one of her fabulous "ah-ha" ideas and told Emme she had some treasures for her.  Nan Nan fetched something from the kitchen and returned to where Emme sat waiting patiently. My mom placed a small, wooden Lane box in front of Emme and opened it up. Inside was my entire jewelry collection circa 1989. One can only imagine what this collection looked like- large, dangling earrings with frogs and cats, graduated pink, blue & silver star earrings, handmade beaded chokers, charm necklaces and various tacky bracelets are only a few of the prized pieces Emme discovered. Emme loved the dangling earrings but was frustrated when she couldn't wear them, no holes. Nan Nan lovingly offered her ears for Emme to decorate.

It was time to go home. As I shuffled my girls out of Nan Nan & Pop Pop's and into our car, Nan Nan stood watch from the garage. She looked positively smashing wearing one triple dangle star earring, one multi-beaded dangle earring, and about five leather cord necklaces with various charms and beads, plus the handmade beaded choker. Emme shouted from her car seat, "I love you Nan Nan! Thanks for having us!" I'm sure the pleasure was all hers.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations - You've been given the Versatile Blogger award! Please visit my blog to learn more about it:

    http://bluesfansforever.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I adore that sewing project that needed to get done by Saturday! Loving the blog, Nikki.

    xo

    ReplyDelete