We didn't see it coming. It was a usual, busy Saturday afternoon. Clay was loading the car with the loot for our friends' baby shower as I attempted to get dressed, brush my teeth, pack the diaper bag and wrangle the troops (all at the same time). Emme was stationed in our bathroom with her eyes fixed on my make-up bag.
Emme: "Mom, can I have the lip stuff you got from Santa? The one with the little brush?"
Mom: "Emme, I know you like the lip gloss. If you can be patient and wait until we are in the car, I'll let you put some on."
Emme: "But I just need to put on some lip stuff for the party because I want to be fancy."
Mom: "Emme, I understand. I said if you can be patient, you can have some when you are buckled in the car. Please be a good listener."
Emme (beginning tear up): "But I want to have some lip stuff. Please."
Mom (starting to tense up): "Honey, I promise you as soon as we are in the car you can have it. We're running late. Please try to go potty before we leave."
Emme (falls to her knees with her head in her hands): "NOOOOO, MOMMY, NO! NO, MOMMY, NO! NO, MOMMY, NO!.........."
The tantrum of the century had taken over my little girl's body. It was as if she was possessed. We had never seen anything like it. Emme continued her protesting rant, "No, Mommy, No!" in an almost sing-songy way for the next 20 minutes. Her face was red and streaked with tears. She was trying so hard to force a cry that we were afraid she was going to make herself sick. She ran from room to room, screaming at the top of her lungs. Delaney just laughed each time Emme'e frenzy ran by. I am quite confident the neighbors heard this activity going on since the back door was wide open as Clay loaded the car. I won't be surprised if they act a bit cautious the next time I call out a neighborly, "Hello!" as I fetch my mail.
Clay & I used our only defense, we ignored her. We went about loading the car and finished gathering our belongings as Emme and her cosmetic crisis tore through the house. When all was said and done and Delaney was snug in her car seat, I went to search out my deprived diva. I found her sitting in her closet. She had regained control of her body & mind and was ready to be my buddy again. We successfully made our final pit-stop then hopped in the car.
Just as we were pulling out of the driveway Emme's little voice pipes up, "Mom, so can I have the lip stuff now?"
No comments:
Post a Comment