Today was the kind of day that makes the difficult ones fade from memory. Clay had a house full of buddies to kickoff March Madness so the girls and I made ourselves scarce and headed outdoors to enjoy the unseasonably gorgeous, summer-like weather.
Delaney & I fetched Emme from school around noon, but hung around the school playground to get in a little more time with Emme's friends before Spring Break. I had the pleasure of chatting with some of her classmate's moms and joked about some of the stories the kiddos bring home from school each day. Then we headed to the Transportation Museum to explore the train yard and have a picnic lunch. We lucked out and got a personal "VIP" tour of a new addition of the museum and a little ride on the museum shuttle. The grin on Emme's face stretched from ear to ear as the shuttle puttered around the park. Delaney's feet dangled and kicked in excitement while she was strapped to me in the Baby Bjorn. We just had a good time. No melt downs. No power struggles.
After our house emptied out for the night and Clay had gone to bed (over-served himself during his get together!), I got the girls in their pj's. Emme then settled on the couch to watch a movie while I put Delaney to bed. Delaney's little fingers wrapped around my thumb as she dozed off, nursing. I savored the moment, feeling her belly inhale & exhale against mine. After Delaney was nestled in her crib, I returned to the "big girl". She climbed into my lap the minute I sat down. I could not help but press my nose onto the back of her head and breath in the smell of outside that still clung to her hair. So sweet, so pure.
Finally, it was time to close up shop for the day and Emme & I shuffled to her bedroom. I didn't even get midway through her latest Pinkalicious book before I felt her body go limp in my arms. Sound asleep. I tucked her in and laid one last kiss on her forehead.
Tonight, when I pray, I will be thankful for today. Amen.
Beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Liz!
Delete