Tuesday, April 17, 2012

just one.

With Delaney snug in her crib, Emme & I bid toot-a-loo to Clay and hopped in the car for a late night spin through DQ's drive thru. I couldn't help but notice a little extra bounce in Emme's steps as she and I headed to  the car. I have to admit, I was a bit excited, too. To see the smile spread across her face when I told her it would just be her & I going to get ice cream made my heart overjoyed and slightly sad at the same time.

Since becoming a big sister, Emme has had her fair share of challenges. Mainly, sharing my affection with another little person. But for the most part, she has really stepped up to the plate and is my little helper and one terrific big sis. Often times, I forget that it was her world that was drastically changed when Delaney joined our gang.

So tonight, as we were driving, I heard Emme's sleepy voice peep up from the back seat-

    Emme: "Mom, it's just Mom and Emme in the car. You and me!"
    Me: "Yep, buddy, you and me."
    Emme: "This is pretty special."
    Me: "It sure is, kiddo."

Thank goodness for the cover of night, I teared-up. Just going to get ice cream without little sis in tow was such a big deal to Emme.

Back at the house, Emme plopped in the middle of the couch, between Clay & I. We were eating our ice cream when Emme said, "You know what, guys? It's just Mom & Dad and one kid, me!" Clay smiled and gave me a knowing look over the top of Emme's head, "Yep, buddy, just you."

No comments:

Post a Comment