Thursday, May 24, 2012

it happens.

The sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky. The air was warm with a gentle breeze. Mother Nature could not have cooked up a better afternoon. 

My littlest lady was down for a mid-day snooze and my big girl was lounging lazily on a swing. All chores were checked off for the day so I headed outside for a little quality time with Emme. I suggested we take a stroll down the driveway to fetch the mail. Usually Emme jumps at the chance to grab the mail to see if anything is addressed to her. But this afternoon, she passed. She seemed too relaxed, dangling legs, swaying on her swing. 

So I headed down the driveway...by myself. It's silly, really, how much I was enjoying my few minutes of solitude. I could not help but think how easy my walk was without a babe perched on my hip or a preschooler pulling at my shirt because she wants to "be the leader". I looked at the remarkably clear sky and took a deep breath, peaceful. I was in the moment, just being. 

As I stood at the mailbox, leafing through the bundle of post, the wind picked-up. I felt something collide with my head. I shook my head, hoping whatever flew into me might take flight away from me. Then I brushed my hand over the top of my head to be sure that the little critter was indeed gone. 

Well, no critter, just a handful of.......bird poop. 

Yep. Great moment of solitude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment