Perched on her pink and white, Huffy bicycle, Emme waited at the top of our driveway. Her arms were crossed, her eyebrows scrunched together and she was staring me down with the pout of the century. "I'm leaving, " she declared. She was mad.
Minutes earlier I had put a stop to her game of "pretend mommy". We were on the swings and "pretend mommy" was pushing both Delaney and myself. Well, Delaney's swing was pushed a little too aggressively and she was done. I hopped up from my swing and fetched Delaney from her swing. All the while I am explaining to Emme why she cannot try to catapult a baby's swing 10 feet in the air. Emme wasn't having it. She stomped into the garage, grabbed her bike and headed for the gate by the driveway.
She waited there until I inquired where she was going. She said she was leaving. She wasn't staying at our house any longer. She decided she was running away via bicycle and headed to Nan Nan & Pop Pop's. I told her we sure would miss her, but if she really did intend to leave I would like to raise her bike seat. I mentioned her legs had grown too long and she could pedal much easier if her seat were higher. She agreed to the minor set back in her plans and she handed over her bike.
After her bike seat was raised to a more suitable height, Emme declared she was leaving, again, and she began to pedal. "Mom, this rides awesome!" she said. I said I was glad it was easier to ride and reminded her that we sure would miss her but she better get going to Nan Nan & Pop Pop's. She stopped pedaling, looked at me with a crooked smile and said, "Mom, I'm not really leaving. I think I'm going to stay here with you guys, okay?" Okay, pal.
Three and a half years old and she already threatened to run away. Her teen years should be fun...
No comments:
Post a Comment