Monday, January 9, 2012

chocolate at bedtime

Sitting in the glider in D's room tonight, I was starting to nod off when Emme's quick little footsteps caught my attention. I looked down at Delaney - passed out mid-nurse. Slight panic, please stay asleep Delaney and Emme, please mind your volume during the "report" you are no doubt coming to deliver. Emme appears in Delaney's doorway with a closed lip grin. She prances over to me and smiles. Chocolate covers her teeth, "Daddy gave me some chocolate. Tob-ler-own-E." Awesome.

Like for most young kiddos, sugar and bedtime are a dangerous combination. Now, I know Clay was just being a good dad (and a sucker) and gave into Emme's plea for a "dessert." But as soon as I saw that creamy, Swiss, brown stuff smeared on Emme's teeth and lips, I knew Clay & I were done for.

Needless to say, I end up swooping in and taking over Em's bedtime when I hear her begin to jump off of her bed and giggle uncontrollably. Poor Clay. The guy tries to do something nice and his quality time with Emme is botched when she goes haywire and I dive in like a hawk on prey. Clay's bewildered expression said enough. Okay girly, momma's here, play ball.

An hour and a half later, I have confiscated a mini flashlight, a recorable Dora microphone, various jewels and baubbles, a light-up singing My Little Pony, and the light bulb to her nightstand lamp. She is finally asleep.

I head to the kitchen for a piece of Toblerone :)

2 comments:

  1. Love. I'm so glad your writing again. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Liz! It really does feel great to be writing again. My goal of writing a book by the time I turn 40 might just be this blog in book form for my girls :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete