Tuesday, January 3, 2012

did it leave a mark?

Today started off too well - I should have known better.

After a wonderfully long holiday break, business as usual felt pretty good as I tried to get the girls dressed, fed and out the door by 8:30 am - first sign things were going too well. Surprisingly, we made it to our first desination, Stroller Strides class, on time. This rarely happens - second sign things were going too well. Emme conducted herself in a semi-controlled manner during class, only wandering during cool down when the rest of the kiddos were set loose from their stroller and she even left playtown without an arguement- third strike, you're out.

The rest of the day went down hill from there. Emme lost her "big girl" standing and continued to whine, complain, stick her tounge out and shout "NO" to pretty much any request made to her (I hang my head in exhaustion here). Why, why, why doesn't anyone warn you about the "trying threes" or "three-nagers". The "terrible twos" don't hold a candle to the amazing insanity a three-year-old can drive you to. Pracing around in her new dress-up "bride" dress Nan Nan spoiled her with, any stranger would have deemed her the ruler of the household and looked a tired mom & dad with pity. Delaney just stares at Emme when Emme goes on her power tirade. How I wish I knew what was going through that 4 month old little brain as she observes her big sister defy every household rule with an almost sinister chuckle.

And the day ended with Emme and I having a stand-off at bedtime. An hour and a half later, I woke up on Emme's floor, shuffled over to her bedside to see the aftermath of our bedtime feud. At some point, Emme had set up a little shrine of girly things on her night stand- a clip-on earring, bracelet, hair tie, glittery Tinker Bell lip balm. Curled in ball under her pink quilt, Emme lay sleeping still grasping her mini flash light that, no doubt, helped her organize her nightstand display.

I couldn't help but smile. This little person that tests my patience to the breaking point almost every day can make my heart melt so easily. I kissed her little forehead, whispered "I love you" and tip-toed out of the room. Good night, buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment