Tuesday, January 31, 2012

food critic

Emmersen has a pretty adventurous appetite. Most occasions, she is not opposed to trying new things. Luckily that leaves me (the cook) with options come dinner time. Rather than being stuck preparing the typical, kid-friendly mac n' cheese & chicken nuggets, she usually consumes whatever it is Clay and I are having. However, sometimes her food flexibility takes five and the meal that I place in front of her is a no-go.

Last night, was meatloaf night. In my defense, this is Kitchen Sink Meatloaf, not your grandmother's meatloaf. This meatloaf is made for the sweet tooth - cranberries, maple syrup, pistachios & some cheddar cheese. I've made it many times before and usually no arguments, just full mouths. Well, to accompany this little meal, I made green beans & sauteed new potatoes. Again, the basics. I call Emme to the table and confidently place her plate in front of her. I sit down and dig in.

Emme is just sitting there, elbow propped on the table with her cheek cupped in her little hand. Her other hand pushing her fork around her plate. Her expression would have made you think she was contemplating some heavy problem, like how to convince me she should have chocolate before bedtime :) So I said, "Buddy, what's up? Have a bite of your dinner." She looked up from her plate, head still leaning against her hand and said, "I don't want this. It smells like armpit." Well... okay then.


No comments:

Post a Comment