Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I feel pretty, oh, so pretty

Sometimes I wish I had a pad lock on Emmersen's closet. The sound of her closet doors popping open makes me cringe. That sound indicates a stand-off between mother and daughter is about to commence. And it won't be pretty.

My darling, Emme, is a three-year-old fashionista who is obsessed with dresses. The girl has a closet FULL of clothes that even I am jealous of. From her Mini Boden skinny jeans to her Crewcuts vintage cardigans to the coveted Burberry kilt with matching polo top, her wardrobe is crazy cute. Emme even got to "shop" on line with me before the start of the school year to pick out some fun, yet, suitable tops & leggings she would be proud to wear. But somewhere between Disney Princesses & Barbie, Emme got it in her little head that girls only wear dresses. When I asked her why only dresses, she responded she needs to feel "pretty". Insert my grumble here.

I am a stereotypical SAHM who runs around in yoga pants, hoodie and a baseball hat. When Emme catches me wearing make-up she assumes I am going somewhere very special and usually comments on how "pretty" I look and undoubtedly asks if I will be wearing a dress. Just the other night, I was freshly showered and Emme commented that she liked my pj's. She rubbed my arm and said she liked my soft skin. Then she said she liked my hair. Sweet, right? And then my darling daughter looks at me and says, "Mom, we can get you some make-up and I can help you get a dress so you can be pretty." Excuse me?

Well, this morning started out like most. Emme & I have a little one-on-one time before Delaney wakes up. We have our morning coffee (me) and warm apple juice (Emme) and talk about our plans for the day. Then it comes time to get dressed. It's 30 degrees outside and I suggest some leggings and a coordinating top. Emme's brow scrunches together, arms crossed over her chest..."But I want a dress!" Too worried about waking Delaney, I compromise and hand her a long sleeved dress and leggings. No takers. She wants a sleeveless number. Fine, long sleeved t-shirt underneath. Nope, she doesn't want the t-shirt because she won't look "pretty".  After some arguing, Emme is sporting a striped sleeveless dress (with a long sleeved shirt underneath), polka dot tights and pink Uggs. Great! A win/win situation. I go to tend to Delaney in the next room. Not two minutes after I leave the room, I hear Emme's closet doors pop open.

After dressing and feeding Delaney, I head back to Emme's room. She has taken off the boots, tights & long sleeved t-shirt. She put the sleeveless dress back on and is now sporting pink flip-flops. She is wearing a Hello Kitty necklace around her neck and a feathery tiara on her head. Yea, not gonna happen, sweetheart. It's a struggle to get her back in the original attire. Finally dressed, we head out the door.

As I am buckling her in her car seat she says to me, "Mom, look at my dress. I do look pretty today." So flustered by all the "pretty" talk I hiss, "You know, it's not so important to be pretty. What about being smart?! And strong?!" and I close the car door. Then I shake my head and remind my self, I am talking to a three-year-old.

Oh, Emmersen, you drive me pretty crazy and can make me pretty mad, but I pretty much can't help loving you. XO, bud.


4 comments:

  1. I have to admit Nikki she's got a great wardrobe and looks oh so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, your blog is so fun to read! Emme and Ella are A LOT alike! I think I could have written some of these posts! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as I recall Ella is your "spirited" one! Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to read. Hugs to you and your kiddos.

      Delete