Monday, January 16, 2012

Tu-tu tired.

It's bedtime. I am sitting in the glider in the dark. Delaney is cradled in my arms about to head to the land of nod. All is at peace. Then I hear her.

I glance at the clock, 8:14. Through the wall, I hear the squeak of bed springs then a loud "thud!" In the room next door, Emmersen is on one of her turbo, charged-up, over exhausted, uncontrollable, I'm not going to bed just yet, kicks. Oh man. Clay's muffled voice keeps repeating, "Emme. Emme. EMMERSEN." I count two more flying leaps off Emme's bed. Then her closet doors are slammed followed by a high-pitched, hysterical giggle.

Another glance at the clock, 8:20. I hear Clay begin to count. I say a mental prayer that she eases up on him. Clay counts to three - game over Emme. Her giggles turn into a wail, "Nooooooo! I want mommy!" Clay's muffled voice again. I can tell he is trying to remain calm. Poor guy.

I must have nodded off because the clock now reads 9:01. All is quite except for the rain sound machine in Delaney's room. When I step out into the hallway, I can hear Clay's snoring coming from behind Emme's door. On the floor outside Emme's door is a pool of princess dresses and various dress-up items. Ah-ha, the confiscated items and reason behind Emme's sobs. I gather them in a ball and toss them in our room until Emme can earn them back in the morning. I head back to Emme's room to fetch Clay. He is passed out on the floor next to two doll houses. He stumbles out of the room. I lean over Emme to tuck her in and I see a glimpse of pink sparkle. What the...?

A closer look reveals that my little diva decided to ditch her pajamas for a more suitable bedtime attire - a pink & purple, sparkly leotard complete with attached tu-tu. And that's my girl.

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! My daughter would do that very same thing! She is always asking to wear her princess dresses!
    Your family is adorable!
    -New Follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tiffany! Thank you for your kind words. Raising girls is definitely a challenge, but they are oh, so fun! Enjoy your little "princess"!

      Delete